Church Partnership Intern
The San Diego Rescue Mission is built on beliefs that speak to the heart. We believe this is more than a job, that it’s a calling to love our neighbors and those in need the way that Jesus would. In our programs, we create a holistic approach to recovery and rehabilitation while ensuring that our building is a safe haven for men, women and children who have experienced homelessness.
The Church Partnerships Intern serves as a member of the Church Partnerships Team and reports to the Vice President of Church Partnerships. This position supports
SDRM church engagement opportunities, fundraising efforts, and volunteer events .
Help organize, manage, and lead church serving/outreach projects, social events for students, and volunteer activities at SDRM:
- Create welcome signage and set up the space with necessary supplies, tear down
- Greet church volunteers as they arrive to serve, sign them in, provide context for the projects they’ll be doing and pray with them
- Take pictures/video of group projects (as applicable, given guidelines)
- Participate in the activity alongside the volunteers
- Debrief with volunteers at the close of each project
Church-sponsored social events for students
- Create flyers/sign-up sheets to promote events throughout the Mission
- Meet with Program Staff re: event details, set-up, promotion
- Prepare room for events (with staff/student help), and work with sound assistants on A/V (if needed) and setting up tables/chairs
- Greet church volunteers as they arrive, get them settled in their location and attend to basic needs
- Take pictures/video (as applicable, given guidelines)
Coordinate on-site volunteer activities
- Update the Chaplaincy and Chapel schedules to reflect sign-ups and cancellations
- Work with Program Staff and volunteers to improve the Chaplaincy and Chapel programs
Assist with Church Database Management and Special Mailings:
- Add “actions” into database for churches we tour, connect with, speak in front of, volunteer with, send mailings to, etc.
- Produce mailing lists based on church segmentation profiles
- Pull weekly and monthly giving queries (lists)
- Update/edit contacts and addresses as needed
- Hand-write and/or address thank you notes, postcards, etc. as needed
- Follow-up with churches after mailings either by phone or email
Support our Marketing/Engagement Efforts with Church Partners:
- Make personal visits to churches to drop off packets/gifts or deliver homeless outreach products
- Follow up with churches after mailings (inviting them for a tour, setting up Zooms, etc.)
- Represent the Mission at local church events such as VBS and ministry fairs
- Assist with marketing materials (banners, brochures, flyers, social media posts)
- Assist with short videos upon request from church partners
Represent our Mission, Vision and Values and continue to grow as a follower of Jesus Christ and Spiritual Leader:
- Spend time daily in God’s word and in prayer
- Model servant leadership
- Pursue our values both privately and publicly
- Foster a coachable, approachable, humble spirit
Skills / Requirements
Education: Candidate must be enrolled as a student at a four-year accredited college or university
Skills and Abilities: Working knowledge of general business operations in a nonprofit, social services environment; working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook); typing (min 35 wpm); demonstrated organizational skills; strong relationship skills and ability to motivate others; coordinate and/or direct a variety of tasks and assignments simultaneously and successfully; exercise good judgment and make sensible decisions; attentive to detail; prioritize effectively; effective oral and written communication skills; eagerness to learn and be trained; work both independently and as part of a team; provide information to public by answering questions and requests; regular, timely attendance.
Travel/Transportation: The incumbent must travel on a regular (or periodic) basis, as the job requires. The incumbent must have reliable transportation (public transportation may be acceptable depending on the purpose of travel). If the incumbent receives authorization to use a Mission vehicle to perform duties, he or she must present a current California driver’s license and good driving record in order to be placed on the Mission’s insurance policy.
20-30 hours per week with some Saturdays and evenings required.
No phone calls please.
All openings are subject to change without notice, due to the volume of applications/resumes received, we are unable to respond to status inquiries. Please be assured that your information is being properly handled and forwarded to the appropriate hiring staff. If your skills and qualifications meet the needs of the job, you will be contacted. If attaching a cover letter please combine resume and letter in same pdf before uploading.
Pay: from $17/hour
Job Status: Part Time,Internship