Director of Donor Relations
The San Diego Rescue Mission is built on beliefs that speak to the heart. We believe this is more than a job, that it’s a calling to love our neighbors and those in need the way that Jesus would. In our programs, we create a holistic approach to recovery and rehabilitation while ensuring that our building is a safe haven for men, women and children who have experienced homelessness.
The Director of Donor Relations serves on the Development Team as the key leader in building a major and middle gifts program that reflects excellence and supports the Mission’s expansion efforts. They will develop annual strategy, cultivate donor relationships, provide accountability, and set direction for our Major Gifts Program. They help to set the agenda, coordinate major donor and planned giving activities, and support the efforts of the Development Team. This position is primarily responsible for overseeing the Major Donor program, Middle Donor Program and Planned Giving Program. The Director of Donor Relations will play a key role in building donor cultivation efforts, planning quality donor events and stewarding our faithful partners with creativity, passion and dedication. This position is also a key spiritual leader of the Development Team and will support teammates on a coaching and pastoral level.
To Serve as a Member of the Development Team
- Provide spiritual leadership, encouragement, and support to the Development Team.
- Provide direction and focus in building Donor Development Strategies.
- Monitor Donor Cultivation strategies and activities to ensure goals are being achieved.
- Meet with the Vice President of Development regularly to ensure alignment in leadership, consistency in strategy and to create desired outcomes.
- Meet regularly with direct reports and fellow team members to plan and strategize.
- Support all donor communications and individual giving efforts.
- Identify a Model Mission to learn from for coaching and “best practices.”
To Elevate and Expand our current Major/Middle Gifts Program
- Build and implement a Major and Middle Gifts programs that reflects the Mission’s values and supports our future expansion efforts
- Create new strategies, ideas and initiatives that will grow the program
- Develop processes and procedures that reflect best practices and allow the team to operate with consistency and efficiency
- Work with the Development Manager to manage donor data including data health, donor prospecting, wealth screening, and MIC management.
- Collaborate with the Marketing Manager to produce donor communication materials
- Demonstrate an increase in cultivation and retention efforts
- Manage an annual budget and forecast results on a quarterly basis
To Lead and Supervise the Donor Relations Officer Team
- Cast vision and direction for Major and Middle Donor Cultivation efforts.
- Provide accountability and set expectations for the Donor Relations Team
- Ensure timely, quality and consistent communication to all team members
- Coach and Train Officers to operate from best practices and the Mission approach
- Monitor, forecast and provide reporting on assigned donor performance.
- Ensure the Major Donor Program meets its annual giving goals.
To Manage and Cultivate a Caseload of Major Donors
- Assist the President and fellow Donor Relations Officers in cultivating current and prospective Major Donors
- Manage a caseload of 75-85 major donors with a focus on engaging, retaining, and upgrading current Mission partners
- Increase the connection and engagement levels of assigned donors
- Reach or exceed an annual giving goal for the assigned caseload
To Supervise the Development of our Planned Giving Program
- To support the development and implementation of the Planned Giving Program that will increase number of Legacy Builder Donors
- To manage the Planned Giving Officer providing support and accountability
- Help create quality donor engagement and cultivation opportunities
- Oversee reporting efforts to track and forecast estate gifts
To Plan and Organize Major Donor and Planned Giving Events
- Create events and experiences to connect with our Major Donors/Legacy Builders
- Develop new donor engagements that will increase connection to the Mission
- Support in the planning and execution of the Golf Challenge Event
- Connect our Donors to the Mission through quality volunteer opportunities
- Support the Development Team with annual event planning
Represent our Mission, Vision and Values
- Protect the Mission, Pursue the Vision and Reflect the Values of the SDRM.
- Help build the TEAM and grow the capacity and impact of the SDRM.
- Be intentional about developing Diversity among our staff and volunteers.
Continue to grow as a follower of Jesus Christ and Spiritual Leader
- Spend time daily in the Word and Prayer.
- Model servant leadership.
- Pursue our values both privately and publicly.
- Sharpen skills through continued learning.
- Foster a coachable, approachable, humble spirit.
Skills / Requirements
Education: Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in a related field from an accredited institution.
Experience: Minimum of 5 years development or fundraising experience. 3-5 years of management experience required. Nonprofit experience preferred.
Skills and Abilities: Working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook); typing (min 35 wpm); ability to learn new technology systems including CRMs, Strong verbal and written communication skills, ability to coordinate and/or direct a variety of complex tasks and assignments simultaneously and successfully; exercise good judgment and make sensible decisions; attentive to detail; prioritize effectively; eagerness to learn and be trained; work both independently and as part of a team; provide information to public by answering questions and requests; regular, timely attendance.
Environment: The incumbent will have an office at our downtown San Diego location.
Pay $80,000-$90,000 annually
Benefits to working for us
- Competitive health Insurance packet: employer pays 85% of medical benefit premium (employee only)
- Competitive PTO policy; 11 paid holidays
- Employer paid Life/AD&D Insurance
- Employee paid Dental and Vision insurance
- Employee paid Supplemental Insurances; Hospital Indemnity, Critical Illness and Accident
- 401K - 4% match, vested after 1 year
- Family culture; servant leadership
- Flexible work hours, (position dependent)
- Promotion opportunities
All openings are subject to change without notice, due to the volume of applications/resumes received, we are unable to respond to status inquiries. Please be assured that your information is being properly handled and forwarded to the appropriate hiring staff. If your skills and qualifications meet the needs of the job, you will be contacted. If attaching a cover letter please combine resume and letter in same pdf before uploading.
Pay: $80,000 to $90,000/year
Must work evenings, weekends, and/or holidays as needed
Job Status: Full Time