Donor Relations Officer
The Donor Relations Officer (DRO) serves on the Development Team helping to cultivate and deepen major donor relationships through providing an excellent Mission experience. This position is primarily responsible for building quality relationship by providing consistent communication, strategic cultivation and quality engagements to a case load of faithful partners. The DRO plays a key role in building major donor campaigns, as well as planning strategic donor events to communicate and cultivate our most generous partners. The DRO serves a on the Donor Relations Team, thoughtfully and strategically connecting donors to the heart of the Mission and finding areas of giving that align with their areas of passion.
About the Development Team
The Development Team at the San Diego Rescue Mission is a high energy, sales minded team of fundraising individuals who are excited to serve those experiencing homelessness. The Development team is responsible for implementing the funding plan and raising the support needed to maintain and grow the San Diego Rescue Mission. It works closely with our Program staff to identify and assist in meeting organizational needs. Individuals who apply for this position should enjoy a team atmosphere and have strong communication skills but also be able to successfully manage their own workload with ease. Potential applicants should feel a strong calling to serve their community. At the San Diego Rescue Mission, we believe this is more than a job – rather it’s a calling to love our neighbors and those in need the way that Jesus would.
To serve as a member of the Development Team
- Support the culture of the Development and the Donor Relations Team
- Participate in the Development Planning Process, helping to identify major donor giving behaviors
- Support all donor communications and individual giving efforts
- Provide leadership, encouragement, and support to the Development Team.
- Meet regularly with other members to discuss strategies, next steps and outcomes
- Partner with the Development Team on planning, organizing and executing annual fundraising plans
- Meet regularly with fellow Donor Officers and the Director of Donor Relations to collaborate effectively
To cultivate Major Donor relationships
- Assist the President, Director of Donor Relations, and fellow Donor Relations Officers in cultivating current and prospective Major Donors
- Manage and build a caseload of 150 current major donors with a focus on engaging, retaining, and upgrading Mission partners
- Develop and work a caseload strategy following best practices to achieve quality relationships and to increase the connection of assigned donors
- Create meaningful giving opportunities through thoughtful asks and proposals
- Work with the Director of Donor Services to manage donor data including data health, donor prospecting, wealth screening, and DEP management.
- Manage a donor caseload within the database, inputting data regularly and ensuring the data health and quality of the assigned caseload
- Support planned giving efforts by partnering with the Planned Giving Officer
- Reach or exceed annual donor activity goals such as meetings, tours and proposals
- Reach or exceed an annual giving goal for the assigned caseload
To plan and execute major donor events
- Help create events and experiences to connect with your assigned Major Donors
- Partner with the Donor Engagement Manager to host quality donor engagements
- Provide leadership and support to on-site donor engagement or volunteer events
- Ensure assigned donors are volunteering at the Mission regularly
- Support Development Team and Mission events as needed
- Ensure Event Goals such as donor attendance and giving goals are achieved
To represent our Mission, Vision and Values
- Protect the Mission, Pursue the Vision and Reflect the Values of the SDR.
- Help build the TEAM and grow the capacity and impact of the SDRM
- Be intentional about developing Diversity among our staff and volunteers
To continue to grow as a follower of Jesus Christ and Spiritual Leader
- Spend time daily in the Word and Prayer.
- Model servant leadership.
- Pursue our values both privately and publicly.
- Serve as a member of a local church.
- Sharpen skills through continued learning.
- Foster a coachable, approachable, humble spirit
Skills / Requirements
Education: Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field from an accredited institution.
Experience: Minimum 3 years full-time work experience in a fundraising, development or sales position that demonstrates successful donor and/or client cultivation. Should be familiar with the San Diego philanthropic community, Non-profit experience preferred. Understanding of drug and alcohol treatment programs preferred.
Benefits to working with us
- Competitive health Insurance packet: employer pays 85% of medical benefit premium (employee only)
- Competitive PTO policy; 11 paid holidays
- Employer paid Life/AD&D Insurance
- Employee paid Dental and Vision insurance
- Employee paid Supplemental Insurances; Hospital Indemnity, Critical Illness and Accident
- 401K - 4% match, vested after 1 year
- Family culture; servant leadership
- Flexible work hours, (position dependent)
- Promotion opportunities
All openings are subject to change without notice, due to the volume of applications/resumes received, we are unable to respond to status inquiries. Please be assured that your information is being properly handled and forwarded to the appropriate hiring staff. If your skills and qualifications meet the needs of the job, you will be contacted. If attaching a cover letter please combine resume and letter in same pdf before uploading.
Pay: $70,000 to $75,000/year
Job Status: Full Time