Food Service Driver
A Food Service Warehouse driver is one of three (3) drivers responsible for the pickup of food from approximately 16 food donors six (6) days a week. Drivers are essential in the procurement of food that enables the warehouse to distribute approximately 10,000 pounds of perishable and non-perishable goods to the homeless and families in need in San Diego County Monday through Friday.
- Maintain regular communication with warehouse personnel and appropriate Food Service personnel regarding absences, early/late departures and arrivals, special pickup or food needs, drop off instructions, changes to route or rescheduling
- Communicate mission food needs to warehouse manager prior to placing pallets into cooler or freezer
- Upon the completion of loading truck at each donor location, prepare receipt for each of the donors
- Maintain current food handler’s and forklift certification cards
- Be flexible and willing to adapt to change of route to accommodate the occasional absence of a driver
- Adheres to safety measures and maintains truck log and other forms of recordkeeping (i.e. mileage, maintenance checklists, etc), according to state and federal regulations and Mission requirements.)
- Positions and secures blocks, cords, wraps, straps, ropes and other protective materials around items to protect cargo during transit.
- Must use the necessary resources (including additional personnel) when loading and unloading from trucks to prevent personal injury and/or damage to goods.
- Inspects truck equipment and supplies such as tires, lights, brakes, gas, oil and water; ensures the inside and outside of the truck is clean and organized.
- Conforms to maintenance schedules for trucks and brings vehicles in on a timely basis.
- Preserves a supportive work environment by treating people with dignity, respect, compassion and integrity at all times, and works to resolve grievances; maintains professionalism and promotes a positive Mission image.
- Supports and participates in the Job Training program; assists Program staff in creating a productive, therapeutic, educational and professional environment that enables students to learn and/or develop job skills and appropriate workplace behaviors.
- Contribute to team effort by reading, understanding and supporting the Strategic Plan
- Creates and attains individual goals (and departmental goals) in support of the Strategic Plan.
- Performs job safely, without endangering the health or safety of him/herself or others; respects and conforms to Mission’s Anti-Fraternization and Anti-Harassment policies as well as all other guidelines regarding behavior and conduct.
- Follows both standard operational and program procedures and reports needed changes.
- Attend all mandatory meetings and trainings (unless previously excused by manager).
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive Mission information, such as student, employee, volunteer, and/or donor data.
Skills / Requirements
Education: Minimum high school diploma.
Experience: Minimum one-year work experience as a truck driver, preferably for a food service establishment. Previous experience with the homeless, substance abusers, mentally ill and/or dually diagnosed preferred. Nonprofit experience preferred.
Skills and Abilities: Coordinate and/or direct a variety of complex tasks and assignments simultaneously and successfully; exercise good judgment and make sensible decisions; attentive to detail; prioritize effectively; effective oral and written communication skills; eagerness to learn and be trained; work both independently and as part of a team; provide information to public by answering questions and requests; regular, timely attendance.
Special License/Certification: Current Food Handler’s card and Forklift certification
This position is full time, eligible for benefits, employer pays 85% of medical, also included employer paid life/ADD and disability plan, vacation, holidays and sick pay. Dental and vision available at additional cost, voluntary benefits for life/ADD and a 401K retirement plan with employer match.
No phone calls please.
All openings are subject to change without notice, due to the volume of applications/resumes received, we are unable to respond to status inquiries. Please be assured that your information is being properly handled and forwarded to the appropriate hiring staff. If your skills and qualifications meet the needs of the job, you will be contacted. If attaching a cover letter, please combine resume and letter in same pdf before uploading.
Pay: from $16/hour
Job Status: Full Time