The San Diego Rescue Mission is built on beliefs that speak to the heart. We believe this is more than a job, that it’s a calling to love our neighbors and those in need the way that Jesus would. In our programs, we create a holistic approach to recovery and rehabilitation while ensuring that our building is a safe haven for men, women and children who have experienced homelessness.
The HR Generalist is an individual who enjoys working well in a fast-paced environment while performing a variety of duties related to human resources. The successful candidate will manage a variety of tasks such as facilitating all aspects of recruitment and retention and managing employee engagement and experience. This role requires the candidate to be outgoing and solution focused, task oriented, computer savvy, passionate, self-disciplined and willing to participate in building team harmony. The idea candidate will represent our Mission, Vision and Values and continue to grow both professionally and spiritually. Candidate must be able to drive within 1 hour of headquarters downtown to our Oceanside and National City locations when needed.
- Recruits and facilitates the hiring of qualified job applicants for open positions; collaborates with departmental managers to understand skills and competencies required for openings.
- Develops and updates job descriptions and job specifications, assisting in the redefining of the job description templates
- Prepares recruitment materials and post jobs to appropriate job board/newspapers/colleges and social media sites. Works closely with our social media and marketing assistant to prepare for the monthly posting and highlights of key open positions
- Sources and recruit candidates by using databases, social media etc·
- Screens candidate’s job application and resumes
- Creates open position flyers for circulation.
- Track positions across departments to assist with financial forecasting
- Conducts annual market-based compensation study
Education and Training
- Assists in monthly Supervisor Training preparation and all employee trainings including research and Canva presentation.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
- Administers annual employee development plans
Engagement and Culture
- Works closely with the HR Manager in coordinating Staff events like monthly team meetings, supervisor trainings, staff socials and other engagement opportunities
- Responsible for employee updates and communication, establishing creative and effective ways to communicate with staff
- Helps plan and organize all Staff events including the Christmas party and staff bonding events
- Assists with implementing employee morale traditions including Employee of the Month and brainstorms new ideas to support employee culture.
- Understands the 5 functions of an HR Department, Recruitment and Retention, Performance Management Compensation and Benefits, Engagement and Culture and Training and Resources, will partner with HR Team and collaborate in all other functions as needed.
- Conducts semi-annual employee engagement surveys
Represent our Mission, Vision and Values and continue to grow professionally and personally
- Embody a Mission-wide perspective beyond the specific program you serve. Remain mindful of the organization’s Mission and Vision as a filter for all we do.
- Embody SDRM’s organizational values: Faith, Integrity, Compassion, and Excellence. Intentionally participate in spiritual disciplines and practices that continue to grow their relationship with Christ.
- Willingly engage to resolve conflicts with co-workers, clients, and community partners as necessary.
- Sharpen skills through continued learning.
Skills / Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in Business, Human Resources or related area
- 3+ years’ experience working in the HR field
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
Special License/Certification: SHRM-CP, a plus.
Benefits to working with us
- Competitive health Insurance packet: employer pays 85% of medical benefit premium (employee only)
- Competitive PTO policy; 11 paid holidays
- Employer paid Life/AD&D Insurance
- Employee paid Dental and Vision insurance
- Employee paid Supplemental Insurances; Hospital Indemnity, Critical Illness and Accident
- 401K - 4% match, vested after 1 year
- Family culture; servant leadership
- Flexible work hours, (position dependent)
- Promotion opportunities
All openings are subject to change without notice, due to the volume of applications/resumes received, we are unable to respond to status inquiries. Please be assured that your information is being properly handled and forwarded to the appropriate hiring staff. If your skills and qualifications meet the needs of the job, you will be contacted. If attaching a cover letter, please combine resume and letter in same pdf before uploading.
Pay: from $26/hour
Job Status: Full Time