The San Diego Rescue Mission is built on beliefs that speak to the heart. We believe this is more than a job, that it’s a calling to love our neighbors and those in need the way that Jesus would. In our programs, we create a holistic approach to recovery and rehabilitation while ensuring that our building is a safe haven for men, women and children who have experienced homelessness.
The Marketing Specialist is a key member of the Development team and provides marketing, communications, copywriting, public relations and events support to the Director of Marketing. This position is responsible for coordinating day-to-day marketing operations, strengthening donor communications, and improving the quality and consistency of the Rescue Mission’s brand presence through multiple channels including print, radio, telemarketing, digital media, donor communications, and events. This position is a critical role in helping to develop the Rescue Mission marketing efforts and brand direction.
To Serve as a Member of the Development Team
- Meet regularly with Development team to collaborate and coordinate ministry efforts
- Collaborate with the Marketing team to execute quality communications
- Provide support to Development marketing strategies and projects
- Support and assist in other Development goals and responsibilities
- Help achieve department revenue goals and team objectives
To Develop Marketing Campaigns & Communications Plans
- Assist with marketing and fundraising campaign development and execution.
- Manage marketing & communications calendar ensuring activities are updated regularly
- Work with agency partners, photographers and videographers on special projects
- Develop original marketing materials from concept to completion
- Write graphic design briefs and manage design projects for print, website and digital
- Ensure all production deadlines are met
- Monitor, create and implement website content updates with webmaster
- Maintain consistency and excellence in our branding and marketing approach
- Assist in tracking and reporting the impact of marketing efforts to ensure goals are reached
To Craft Content and Serve as Primary Copywriter
- Gather and curate inspiring and impactful content to be used in promoting the Mission’s unique story and brand
- Serve as the primary copywriter for marketing
- Collaborate with Donor Services to create content plan for monthly communications
- Plan and develop content for printed marketing materials, digital and materials
- Coordinate with outside contractors: graphics designer and agencies
- Assist with agency and contractor video and photo shoots
- Research, collect and write program participant stories for use in donor communications and marketing materials
- Collaborate with Social Media & Marketing Assistant in content brainstorms
To Assist in Public Relations and Community Relations Efforts
- Support public relations activities, including planning, release editing, and interview coordination and manage opportunities during Mission and community events
- Assist in creating a public relations strategy that allows the Mission to develop its brand throughout the community
- Research and maintain a strong knowledge on the San Diego Rescue Mission and an understanding of Homelessness in San Diego
To Support and Coordinate Development Events
- Support the Development team the execution of fundraising events
- Assist in ideating, planning and executing in-person and online events, event promotions and advertisement
- Support day-of event operations, to include set-up, execution and tear-down
To Provide Administrative Assistance to the Marketing Director
- Provide timely communication with teammates and agency partners
- Help track and organize the marketing calendar and project timelines
- Work with the Donor Services team to execute Development team projects
- Assist with Development projects and administrative items as needed
Represent our Mission, Vision and Values
- Protect the Mission, Pursue the Vision and reflect the Values of the SDRM
- Help build the TEAM and grow the capacity and impact of the SDRM
- Be intentional about developing Diversity among our staff and volunteers
Continue to grow as a follower of Jesus Christ and Spiritual Leader
- Spend time daily in the Word and Prayer
- Model servant leadership
- Pursue our values both privately and publicly
- Serve as a member of a local church
- Sharpen skills through continued learning
- Foster a coachable, approachable, humble spirit
Skills / Requirements
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, communications, or related field from an Accredited University or College preferred.
Experience: 2-4 years of full-time work experience in Marketing or Communications that demonstrates successful execution of projects and events. Experience directing graphic design required. Non-profit experience with marketing or development a plus.
Skills and Abilities:
Comfortable conceptualizing and pitching ideas.
Attention to detail.
Savvy digital marketer.
A knack for storytelling.
Exceptional copywriting, written and verbal communication skills, with strong editing ability.
Excellent time management, adaptability, judgment and decision-making skills are required.
Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet demanding deadlines, while producing high-quality work and projecting a positive attitude.
Proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Google Suite, Google Analytics, MailChimp or similar email platform.
Videography and Photography experience desired.
Self-starter, highly organized, and able to work independently and as an effective team member.
Team player with a positive attitude and enthusiasm.
This position is on-site. The incumbent has a workspace that is generally clean and comfortable. It may include some minor annoyances such as noise, odors, drafts, etc. The incumbent is in a non-confined office-type setting in which he or she is free to move about at will. The incumbent will also perform some duties in a residential setting, which consists of individuals who may have a mental or physical disability or illness. Physical resources may be limited, and in some cases, are donated.
Travel/Transportation: The incumbent must travel on a regular (or periodic) basis, as the job requires. The incumbent must have reliable transportation (public transportation may be acceptable depending on the purpose of travel). If the incumbent receives authorization to use a Mission vehicle to perform duties, he or she must present a current California driver’s license and good driving record in order to be placed on the Mission’s insurance policy.
Pay $24.00 - $26.00
Benefits to working for us
- Competitive health Insurance packet: employer pays 85% of medical benefit premium (employee only)
- Competitive PTO policy; 11 paid holidays
- Employer paid Life/AD&D Insurance
- Employee paid Dental and Vision insurance
- Employee paid Supplemental Insurances; Hospital Indemnity, Critical Illness and Accident
- 401K - 4% match, vested after 1 year
- Family culture; servant leadership
- Flexible work hours, (position dependent)
- Promotion opportunities
All openings are subject to change without notice, due to the volume of applications/resumes received, we are unable to respond to status inquiries. Please be assured that your information is being properly handled and forwarded to the appropriate hiring staff. If your skills and qualifications meet the needs of the job, you will be contacted. If attaching a cover letter please combine resume and letter in same pdf before uploading.
Pay: $24 to $26/hour
Must work evenings, weekends, and/or holidays as needed
Job Status: Full Time