Mental Health Associate
About the Therapeutic Services Department
The Therapeutic Services at the San Diego Rescue Mission is an integral part of the recovery for the students at the mission. The Therapeutic Services Department team is responsible for utilizing evidence base practices and students how to enlist their strength and resources to encounter God, experience recovery, engage in process of connecting with their inner self, establish reconnections with their network. The Therapeutic Services works closely with our Program staff to identify and assist in meeting student needs. Individuals who apply for this position should enjoy a team atmosphere and have strong communication skills but also be able to successfully manage their own workload with ease. Potential applicants should feel a strong calling to serve their community. At the San Diego Rescue Mission, we believe this is more than a job – rather it’s a calling to love our neighbors and those in need the way that Jesus would.
As the the Mental Health Associate your responsibilities would be:
- Receive External referrals and process request to appropriate department for approval
- Coordinate admission.
- Provide screening, clinical assessments, and initial interview for program students/clients diagnosed with severe mental illness and may be dually diagnosed with a substance abuse disorder.
- Complete necessary paperwork for admissions and complete Biopsychosocial assessments.
- Conduct initial assessment interviews with internally referred students/clients to obtain information concerning medical/psychiatric history, and other pertinent information.
- Request collateral and records for potential client and current student/clients who has a mental health illness and substance abuse challenges and participates in interdisciplinary treatment planning (as needed.)
- Provides crisis intervention/triage as appropriate and as needed.
- Coordinates with the multidisciplinary team regarding discharge planning.
- Collaborates with outpatient nursing staff and SDRM Med Room Assistant to arrange continuing care for medication maintenance.
- Assists clients with obtaining community-based supports to facilitate recovery and improvement.
- Responsible for putting students/clients on mental health caseload spreadsheets and keep tracking of student/client services, outsources, and terminated services.
- Responsible for connecting clients with outside services/resources during phases and at time of discharge.
- Responsible for student/client treatment summary and recommendations.
- Assist with other outreach activities as needed.
- Coordinate care with the Outreach Team and serves as a liaison.
To represent our Mission, Vision and Values and continue to grow professionally and spiritually
- Embody a Mission-wide perspective beyond the specific program you serve
- Remain mindful of the organization’s Mission and Vision as a filter for all we do
- Embody SDRM’s organizational values: Faith, Integrity, Compassion, and Excellence
- Intentionally participate in spiritual disciplines and practices that continue to grow your relationship with Christ
- Willingly engage to resolve conflicts with co-workers, clients, and community partners as necessary
Education: Minimum bachelor’s degree in psychology/Social Sciences; Master’s preferred,
Experience: Minimum 2 years full-time work experience with individuals experiencing homelessness, addiction challenges, mental illness, and/or co-occurring disorders. Nonprofit experience preferred. Trauma Informed Care, Motivational Interviewing, Cognitive Behavior Therapy trained, preferred.
Skills and Abilities: Working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook); typing (min 35 wpm); coordinate and/or direct a variety of complex tasks and assignments simultaneously and successfully; exercise good judgment and make sensible decisions; attentive to detail; prioritize effectively; effective oral and written communication skills; eagerness to learn and be trained; work both independently and as part of a team; provide accurate information to public by answering questions and requests in a timely and professional manner.
Language: Bilingual preferred
Please note: Students and clients are interchangeable terms within the TS department
This position is full time, eligible for benefits, employer pays 85% of medical, also included employer paid life/ADD and disability plan, vacation, holidays and sick pay. Affordable dental, vision, voluntary benefits for life/ADD and a 403B savings plan, employee responsible for premiums.
All openings are subject to change without notice, due to the volume of applications/resumes received, we are unable to respond to status inquiries. Please be assured that your information is being properly handled and forwarded to the appropriate hiring staff. If your skills and qualifications meet the needs of the job, you will be contacted.
Pay: $20 to $22/hour
Job Status: Full Time