Teacher (Full-Time) - Children's Center
San Diego Rescue Mission Children's Center (SDRMCC) is a trauma informed preschool that serves children ages 2-5 experiencing homelessness. Our Vision is to provide an Early Childhood Education setting where children can heal, begin healthy development, build relationships, grow a love for learning, and begin their relationship with Jesus.
We are seeking a teacher that enjoys being a part of a team, passionate for Early Childhood Education, and is energetic in impacting underserved populations.
This teacher position serves the SDRMCC a licensed preschool program. Under the direction of the Children's Center Director/Site Supervisor plans and implements curriculum designed to promote social, physical, spiritual, and intellectual growth for children ages 2-5 years of age experiencing homelessness or in transition.
To provide a classroom environment maintaining licensing compliance and promotes the health and safety of each individual child
- Responsible for providing the care and safety of children ages 2-5 years enrolled in the (SDRMCC)
- Maintain the classroom space to ensure that it meets the safety of the children and licensing standards, including all essential cleaning duties for health and safety requirements
- Use trauma-informed approaches throughout the preschool environment and all SDRM programs
- Perform daily health checks to ensure that each child is able to participate in the program and the child is free from obvious signs of illness i.e. communicable diseases. Informs parent when a child is in need of medical care
- Perform first aid to children in need of emergency care until parent or emergency response team arrives
- Constantly supervise children indoors and outdoors to ensure safety
- Knowledge and adherence to emergency procedures
- Use a trauma-informed approach to ensure children are working to identify feelings: teachers are validating feelings and providing children with guidance on how to utilize coping mechanisms
- Interact with the children with love, compassion, acceptance, and respect
- Manage safe, effective, and trauma-informed Preschool environment throughout services
- Follows both standard operational and program procedures and reports needed changes
- Performs job safely, without endangering the health or safety of him/herself or others; respects and maintains all Rescue Mission guidelines and expectations
To implement Reggio Emilia Inspired curricula that addresses the needs of each individual child’s developmental level
- As directed: plan, implement, and evaluate curriculum based on the individual child’s developmental needs. Ensure that the program curriculum is also in line with SDRMCC philosophy, vision, and mission
- Plan and implement curriculum that meets the physical, emotional, social, cognitive, and spiritual needs of each child
- Assess children every three months using an assessment tool approved by the center Director to determine where each child is developmentally in order to intentionally plan curriculum
- Effectively communicate with the Director, Assistant Director, parents, and children of the program
To provide administrative support and other documentation as needed
- Prepares, distributes, and maintains variety of reports; ensures data collection for statistical analysis and program planning
- Complete accident reports when a child is injured
- Assists with maintaining licensing files for all enrolled children
- Maintaining electronic child files i.e. completing documentation, observations, attendance records, parent volunteer hours and opportunities and any other documentation deemed necessary
- Maintains confidentiality of sensitive Rescue Mission information, such as client, employee and/or donor data
To effectively supervise volunteers, interns and to promote professional growth
- Assist with training and supervision of volunteers and intern staff in areas such as agency policy, department procedures, and agency or government regulations
- Effectively supervise volunteers and interns under his/her supervision with children
- Be willing to grow professionally by creating a professional growth plan that includes attending workshops, trainings, classes, and conferences
- Collaborates with Child Center Director/Assistant Director regarding children behavioral or learning obstacles, and recommends methods of modifying challenging behaviors and encouraging learning experiences
- Creates and attains individual goals (and departmental goals) in support of the Strategic Plan
To represent our Mission, Vision, and Values and continue to grow professionally and spiritually
- Exemplify a Mission-wide perspective
- Remain mindful of the organization’s Mission and Vision as a filter for all we do
- Embody SDRM’s organizational values: Faith, Integrity, Compassion, and Excellence
- Intentionally participate in spiritual disciplines and practices that continue to grow and expand your relationship with Christ
- Attends all mandatory meetings and trainings (unless previously excused by supervisor)
- Participate in regularly scheduled monthly staff meetings, required in-service, and other trainings (CPR FA/AED and Mental Health FA)
- Preserves a supportive work environment by treating people with dignity, respect and compassion while resolving conflicts willingly with co-workers, clients, and community partners as necessary
Skills / Requirements
Special License/Certification: Fully qualified teacher: 12 units plus 50 days of teaching experience within 6 months paid or volunteer in a licensed or comparable group child care program. Coursework in CD/ECE core courses: Child/Human Growth and Dev. Child, Family and Community Program/Curriculum.
16 hours of health and safety training and;
Or One of the following Child Development Permits issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing:
-Child Development Associate Teacher Permit; or
-Child Development Teacher Permit; or
-Child Development Master Teacher Permit.
Education: Minimum 12 postsecondary semester or equivalent quarter units in early childhood education or child development completed, with passing grades, at an accredited or approved college or university. Bachelor’s degree preferred. High school diploma or GED required.
Experience: Minimum 3 years full-time work experience with individuals experiencing homelessness, facing various addiction challenges, mental illness and/or dually diagnosed is preferred, which can include experience working in a state-funded or federally-funded child care center, previous experience of at least 6 months of work experience in a licensed child care center with children ages 2-5 required. Nonprofit experience preferred.
Skills and Abilities: Working knowledge of general business operations in a nonprofit, social services environment; working knowledge of the management process, especially as it applies to growth and long-term planning; analyze and evaluate budgets and other financial documents as it relates to area of assignment; working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook); typing (min 35 wpm); demonstrated leadership and organizational skills; strong relationship skills and ability to motivate others; coordinate and/or direct a variety of complex tasks and assignments simultaneously and successfully; exercise good judgment and make sensible decisions; attentive to detail; prioritize effectively; effective oral and written communication skills; eagerness to learn and be trained; work both independently and as part of a team; provide information to public by answering questions and requests; regular, timely attendance.
This position is full time, eligible for benefits, employer pays 85% of medical, also included employer paid life/ADD and disability plan, vacation, holidays and sick pay. Affordable dental, vision, voluntary benefits for life/ADD and a 403B savings plan, employee responsible for premiums.
All openings are subject to change without notice, due to the volume of applications/resumes received, we are unable to respond to status inquiries. Please be assured that your information is being properly handled and forwarded to the appropriate hiring staff. If your skills and qualifications meet the needs of the job, you will be contacted.
Pay: from $18/hour
Job Status: Full Time